Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The mind of an aspergian socially

          You walk up to your best friend very angry with your test grade. An F. You know your parents are going to be very angry and even you are really mad at yourself. You come up to him scowling all over with your eyebrows pushed down in anger. Im so angry you mutter to him as you pass him by. He glimpses back at you for a second and asks why. You reply  "I got a stupid F on my test and my parents are going to kill me". He starts to smile on the corner of his face and as he turns to look at you it gets broader and broader. For a second you wonder why he's smiling but the next thing you know you're covered with anger. "WHATS YOUR PROBLEM" you yell at him as you walk away in anger. Sadly this interaction is happening without people having the knowledge about people diagnosed with Aspergers and stopping it in it's tracks. The truth is the person who would smile in this situation with asperger syndrome is doing nothing wrong and just simply acting on his brains judgement. Because Asperger syndrome effects the way people think this choice of smiling in this situation would be totally normal to them and has deeper meaning.

             In the situation I described instead of the aspergian just acting rude or mean they really are almost doing the opposite but the normal world can't seem to figure that out. In this situation like the one i read in my book the person may just be smiling because they are happy that there friend isn't mad at them and is  just mad at school. The aspergian is honestly just worried about their friendship with the person. The book goes on to tell me (which you probably can infer by now) that Aspergians (people diagnosed with Asbergers) have a very hard time reacting well to and noticing small emotions. As quoted in the book "I knew enough to run if a guy came yelling and screaming at me with a baseball bat but a girl with a subtle expression on her face...as she smiling at me? Laughing?Quizzical and curios?.I had no idea" on page 99.

             All in all I find this type of thinking very interesting. I think it's very important to know all this stuff if you know someone barely or even have a friend diagnosed with Asperger syndrome. I think that this way of thinking even helps me "understand" my parents a little better even though they definitely don't have this syndrome. I hope that someday everyone will come to understand that we all react differently to things being introduced to us. People should know not to get angry or even creeped out if someone acts differently than we expected because we are all different inside.

           

4 comments:

  1. Your blog post actually makes me wonder. I've never had that... Feeling about writing. Excellent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING! I love the intro into the book and I don't know about aspergers so now I know. It really makes me think about it if that happened to me. I felt excited to read the rest after the first couple sentences. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this post! I think the situation that you came up with relating to Aspergers really informed me on what it is. It's great how you made up a situation instead of just saying what it was. It makes me want to read the book now!What's the name of the book?
    -Samiha Syeda, 806

    ReplyDelete